What is the best knife set under 200? This question is probably what you’re trying to get an answer for now that you have been looking to making your first investment on your knife set.
There are so many available knife sets on the market now, but choosing which one under 200 can give you that satisfaction you’re looking for, especially when preparing meat dishes to cook in a roaster oven or fruits and vegetables in a food steamer.
Now to help you on the matter, I would like to share my top choices on affordable knife sets that can make your cooking life easier.
We all hate dull knives, don’t we? They are just time-consuming and frustrating to use, not mentioning that we always have to sharpen their edges from time to time to keep their sharpness and to get perfect slices of sausages we made using our sausage stuffer.
Before we discuss on the top picks for knife sets under 200, let me first show you how to pick the right set that will attend to your needs.
A Quick Table of Comparison Chart For Best Knife Set Under 200
- 1 A Quick Table of Comparison Chart For Best Knife Set Under 200
- 2 Factors to Consider When Shopping Around for Knife Sets
- 3 General Tips
- 4 The Best Knife Sets Under 200 Bucks of 2022
- 4.1 1. Chicago Cutlery Insignia2 18-Piece Sharpener
- 4.2 2. Mercer Culinary Renaissance 6-Piece Tempered
- 4.3 3. Chicago Cutlery 18-Piece-Insignia Sharpener
- 4.4 4. Chicago Cutlery 1090390 18-Pieces Stainless
- 4.5 5. Mercer Culinary Genesis 6-Piece Tempered
- 4.6 6. Cuisinart Kitchen 17-Piece Stainless Steel Cutlery
- 4.7 7. Wusthof Gourmet Piece Knife Block
- 4.8 8. Henckels International 35309-000 Knife 12-Pieces
- 5 Conclusion For “Best Knife Set Under 200 Bucks”
|PRODUCT NAME||QUALITY||OUR RATING||PRICE||REVIEW|
|Chicago Cutlery Insignia2 18-Piece Sharpener||A+||$$||READ|
|Mercer Culinary Renaissance 6-Piece Tempered||A+||$$||READ|
|Chicago Cutlery 18-Piece-Insignia Sharpener||A+||$$||READ|
|Chicago Cutlery 1090390 18-Pieces Stainless||A||$||READ|
|Mercer Culinary Genesis 6-Piece Tempered||A+||$$||READ|
|Cuisinart Kitchen 17-Piece Stainless Steel Cutlery||B||$||READ|
|Wusthof Gourmet Piece Knife Block||A+||$$||READ|
|Henckels International 35309-000 Knife 12-Pieces||B||$||READ|
**Below, you’ll find more detailed reviews, but you can also click links above to check current prices and read customer’s reviews on Amazon.
Factors to Consider When Shopping Around for Knife Sets
Another important consideration when buying a knife set is the balance and comfort that the handle can provide you with; if you’re shopping online, read customer reviews on several knife sets and find their feedback on particular handles.
- Always think of the quality over quantity. It will make no sense to buy a bunch of knives at a low price if its quality suffers. That is why I hope to give you an idea on how to select the set under 200 that can make your kitchen life rewarding and less time consuming.
- Know the materials. They say that those containing high carbon material do not stay sharp for a long time as compared to those that has vanadium and chromium. According to the experts, shoppers have to look for those that contain VG10 or SG2 steel, which are durable and considered the sharpest.
- Go for one that comes with a knife block, which makes storing and protecting your knives easier. With it, you don’t have to keep them in the drawer with other kitchen tools and utensils that might make your set dull easier.
The Best Knife Sets Under 200 Bucks of 2022
1. Chicago Cutlery Insignia2 18-Piece Sharpener
This knife set is a complete one that comes with a block for easy storage, sharpener for easy honing and 17 pieces of knives for plenty of uses. It is a starter set or an additional to your growing collection.
The set includes a chef’s knife, steak knives, utility knife and so on. With this set, you don’t need to buy these knives separately, meaning you can just spend one time and have all the knives you would ever need in your kitchen.
It also comes with a knife sharpener that lets you hone your knives anytime without any hassles and without having to bring your knives to a professional.
- Forged bolsters for improved durability
- Polymer handles
- High carbon stainless steel full tang blades
- Full tang blades
- Not dishwasher friendly
- More expensive than others in the same category
2. Mercer Culinary Renaissance 6-Piece Tempered
When looking for a knife set, we should find that one to provide us with excellent cutting power for accurate results all the time. For that matter, I find this Mercer set reliable – it comes with six pieces of forged knives that we can depend on for all our cutting needs.
The knives are made with high-carbon cutlery steel that can resist corrosion, rust, and discoloration. They are also made using forged construction that make them more durable and then rounded spine that makes them extra durable and strength.
Plus, their edges are tapered-ground for easy honing and added stability – promoting long-lasting sharpness, which also means precise chopping and cutting all the time.
And to find the right knife to use each time, the product comes with a see through tempered glass windows. For exceptional control and grip, each knife is made with Delrin handles, which are full tang and triple-riveted.
- NSF certified – ensuring rigorous testing and certifying safety, performance, and quality standards
- Tempered glass block included
- Lifetime limited warranty
- High carbon German X50 Cr Mo V15 steel
- Delrin handles
- Might be damaged when washed in a dishwasher due to harsh detergents and heat
3. Chicago Cutlery 18-Piece-Insignia Sharpener
When it comes to shopping around for knife sets, many of us are looking for that one that includes most of the knives we need in our kitchen. That’s something I find beneficial with this set that includes 18 different knives, including a peeler, a boning knife, serrated knife and so on. It also comes with a block with a sharpener.
The knives are forged for added durability and balance and the handles are designed with user comfort and ease in mind.
- Forged knife design
- Stainless steel handles
- High carbon stainless steel
- Full lifetime warranty
- Forged bolster
- Taper grind edge technology for guaranteed sharpness
- Not recommended for dishwasher cleaning
4. Chicago Cutlery 1090390 18-Pieces Stainless
This Chicago cutlery set is made of high-carbon stainless steel forged blades that ensure durability, comfort, and style. The knives are also made with poly handles for secure and slip-resistant control and handling. The high carbon stainless steel also makes the blades harder and strong so that they can resist rusting and pitting.
For optimum sharpness, each of the knives is made using a taper grind edge system, ensuring excellent cutting as well as easy re-sharpening.
- Non-slip handles
- High carbon stainless steel forged blades
- Stainless steel plates for contemporary styling
- Precision performance
- Excellent value
- Might need constant re-sharpening as the knives might become dull over time of frequent use
5. Mercer Culinary Genesis 6-Piece Tempered
This knife set is engineered and made to perform – they consist of German forged knives for long-lasting precision cutting. They can resist corrosion, rust, and discoloration. And because they are forged, they stay sharp for a longer period and they are easy to maintain.
They also come with see-through glass windows that will let you find the knives you’re looking for in an instant.
Each of the knives also comes with slip-resistant handles for better control and superior grip, even when your hands are wet. Each of them also has a bolster, which allows better balance and strength – for better handling and guard for your fingers.
- NSF certified for quality, performance, and safety
- Tapered ground edge for easy honing and stability
- Excellent value and quality
- High carbon X50 Cr Mo V15 steel for resistance to corrosion, rust, and discoloration
- Santoprene handles for better comfort and non-slip grip
- Trusted brand
- Knives might need constant sharpening to restore sharpness, especially if they are not maintained properly or soaked in water after use
6. Cuisinart Kitchen 17-Piece Stainless Steel Cutlery
- There is a wide range of knife types included, so you might not have to worry about buying other knives to attend for other purposes you have.
- It comes with 17 pieces of knives to use for slicing, cutting and a whole lot more of purposes and includes an 8-inch slicing knife, Santoku knife, chef’s knife and paring knife, to name some.
- They are created using high carbon stainless steel, making them ideal for their accuracy and precision that every cook is looking or in a knife set.
- The set comes with well-balanced and comfortable handles that are designed and forged stainless steel handles. They are designed with the user ease in mind. With these knives, there will be no more smashed foods for you. Plus, you won’t anymore have a hard time in preparing foods for the holiday season and your loved ones because these are knives are easy to use with their sleek and nicely designed handles.
- The knives in the set are also easy to clean and maintain, no matter how low maintenance you want your knives to be.
- The knives might rust easily if you would always leave them in the sink and unwashed.
- The blades might have to be sharpened more often to keep their sharpness.
7. Wusthof Gourmet Piece Knife Block
- It includes a wooden block, which can provide you that easier storage solution as compared to keeping the knives in the drawer with other kitchen tools and utensils that can make the knives dull faster.
- It comes with a wide variety of knives, including a paring knife and bread knife. What is best is that it also comes with a sharpener and a pair of scissors.
- The handles are ergonomically designed for your comfort and are made from ABS polymer plastic, which makes them more durable.
- They are made in Germany, so you can expect high quality manufacturing. They are also laser-cut stamped knives that you can depend on for its durability and high performance.
- The knives are made from high carbon stain-free steel, keeping them easy to maintain and sharp.
- They are a bit pricier than other models in the same category.
8. Henckels International 35309-000 Knife 12-Pieces
- This set is elegant and decorative. It can complement any kitchen design without any problem. So if you want to display sophistication in your kitchen, then you might want to consider this model. It comes with high-quality satin finished blades as well.
- Each of the knives comes with a contoured handle, providing users with that comfort and ease in grip and control. So if you want not only a gorgeous but also a designed to perfection knife handles, which are made of polypropylene and are triple-riveted to the knife’s blade, then you might want to give this set a second look.
- This set is a sound investment for its great value and affordable price. Imagine, you can get almost all the knives you are looking for in one valuable package. If you are starting to build your kitchen tools, then this set from this maker may be a sound choice.
- Each knife provides users with high performance because they are made from high carbon stainless steel.
- It comes with a wide variety of knives for most purposes, including a Santoku knife, a paring knife, a bread knife and six pieces of steak knives. It also includes a hardwood knife block and sharpening steel.
- While it is considered dishwasher safe, it is recommended to hand wash the knives.
- This set is definitely not the most affordable in the category of knife sets under 200.
Conclusion For “Best Knife Set Under 200 Bucks”
Today’s winner is the Chicago Insignia 2 that proves to be the best performing knife set at a great value. They are made of high-quality materials, and they can stay sharp for a longer time with proper maintenance.
However, the second on the list, Mercer Renaissance 6-Piece, is also a good choice because it is NSF certified for performance, quality, and safety.
The choice is up to you. Nevertheless, all the knife sets featured here have their strengths and weaknesses to consider. I am hoping that I helped you in coming up with the decision on the best knife set under 200.